Desserts are usually the favorite part of dinner for most kids and banana cake recipe is one delicious and nurtitious dessert to serve, but in today’s busy and fast-paced life it is not always possible to be ready with a dessert, or sometimes you are just too hard-pressed for time to go through the whole process of preparing one. To help you at the dinner table, here is a simple banana cake recipe with cake mix that is served with innovative caramel frosting that will keep everyone (adults and the kids) very happy.On your shopping list:
- 1 packet or 200 grams of yellow or white cake mix (yellow gives a more authentic banana color)
- 110 grams of light brown sugar
- 5 mg of fresh ground cinnamon
- 250 grams of peeled and mashed bananas
- 110 ml of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of roasted assorted nuts
- 10 ml of vegetable shortening
- 10 grams of all-purpose flour
- Grease (using vegetable shortening and flour) two or three 8 inch baking pans, depending on how many layers you want in the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Empty the contents of the cake mix packet into a mixing bowl, then add the sugar, ground cinnamon powder and mashed bananas.
- Use an electric blender to beat the mix, along with the eggs, to get a good mix of the banana puree and eggs.
- Add the vegetable oil and water to the mix and blend on a high speed so that everything is well mixed.
- Pour the batter in the cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- After the baking time, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for about 30 minutes before assembling.
Ingredients for the caramel frosting:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 220 grams of brown sugar
- 120 ml of whole milk
- 220 grams of icing sugar
- 5 ml of vanilla essence
- In a thick-bottomed pan, boil the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the milk and boil once again.
- Remove from heat and stir in the icing sugar and vanilla essence.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix everything until you get a smooth, spreading mixture. Keep in mind that you have to use the frosting while it is still warm, otherwise it will become hard and difficult to use.
Assembling the cake:
- Place one cake on a serving tray and spread a layer of frosting over it. Sprinkle some roasted nuts on the top.
- Place another cake on top and cover with the frosting from all sides. (If you are using three cakes, repeat this step again.)
- Let the cake cool in the fridge for an hour before serving.