Whenever you think about 1st birthday cake recipes, the first thing that comes to mind is chocolate cake recipes and layers of frosting. Kids of all ages love chocolate and frosting. Here is a simple triple layer 1st birthday chocolate cake recipe that you can prepare for your child’s first birthday.What you will need:Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of shortening
- 1 cup of fresh buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of grated cooking chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of mixed fruit essence
- 2 cups of dark and white cooking chocolate
- 3 cups of icing sugar
- 3-4 sticks of butter
- 4 drops of vanilla essence
- First, to prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the eggs and shortening in a deep bowl. Use an electric blender to beat the mix at high speed until it turns light and fluffy.
- Add the buttermilk and beat at medium speed to get a frothy liquid.
- Add the mixed fruit essence and combine well.
- Use a tablespoon to add the flour to the mix (one spoon at a time) and beat well after each addition.
- Now add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add the grated cooking chocolate and beat the mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the baking powder and again mix well to get a cake batter of dropping consistency.
- Grease two 9 inch baking pans.
- Divide the batter in two and pour the mix equally in each pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven and cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
- You will need a double boiler to melt the chocolate and butter.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove it from the double boiler and let it cool.
- To the cooled mix, add the icing sugar and butter.
- You can use the electric blender for mixing the icing.
Preparing the cake for serving:
- Place one cake on the cake stand and cover the top with chocolate frosting.
- Place the second cake on top of it and press lightly.
- Use the rest of the frosting to cover all the sides and the top of the cake in an even layer.
- Dust some icing sugar over the top of the cake for a ‘snowy’ look.
- Put the cake in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.